By Roger Bergerson
In looking through the “Darn History” photo file, the writer was reminded of the relatively short existence of a remarkable home that once stood on the southwest corner of Snelling and Larpenteur avenues.
The story of opera impresario Nettie Snyder’s summer house already was told in the April 2012 Park Bugle (Today’s busy corner was home to ‘The Crossroads’), but these previously unpublished images give a glimpse into the relatively short life cycle of the mansion designed by Emmanuel Masqueray, also architect of the St. Paul Cathedral.
Built in 1907, Snyder used the home to host recitals and visiting opera stars through the ’teens. But the Crossroads entered a period of decline in the late 1920s and last served as a nursing home before being demolished in 1945.