Como Lake cleanup and blood donation results
On May 21, 32 community members collected 50 pounds of trash from the lakeshore of Como Lake. Thanks to all of the volunteers who made this event a success.
Meanwhile, the third Como Community Blood Drive at Como Zoo this year also was a success. On May 26, the Red Cross collected 60 units of blood from nearly 60 donors! The next blood drive will be on Aug. 2.
Get Involved: Como Neighborhood History Project
The District 10 Neighborhood Relations Committee is partnering with St. Kate’s University to explore the history of the Como neighborhoods.
For the neighborhood history project, the committee will be collecting stories from neighbors who have lived here for most of their lives.
We are more than the State Fair and Como Park! We are a neighborhood of shops, institutions and families. Let’s collect those stories!
How you can get involved:
- Dig through your old photos! Share pictures of our neighborhood from the past. We are especially looking for old photos of businesses, street scenes, homes or schools that used to be here and are now gone.
- Help us find neighbors to interview. Suggest a family member, friend or neighbor who has lived in the District 10 community for most of their lives. Help us interview them or we can help with the interview to get their memories saved.
- Design a walking tour. Keep us healthy and fit while we are walking past interesting houses, pieces of art or cool institutions.
- Research and write a story. Help research buildings, institutions and past events that have shaped our community. Do you have old documents about the history of Como Elementary or Tilden School? Have a story about the old corner store or garden nursery in your neighborhood, know a house that had interesting or famous folks living there, share them with us!
Como Park annual ice cream social
The District 10 annual ice cream social, planned by the Neighborhood Relations Committee, is set for 5:30 to 8 p.m., July 8, at the Historic Streetcar Station in Como Park, 1224 N. Lexington Parkway.
The event will feature free ice cream, live music, meet-and-greets with neighborhood organizations and activities for children and families.
Due to limited parking, participants are encouraged to walk, bike, roll, car-pool or take public transportation to the social. Bring your neighbors!
Interested in volunteering at this event? Contact community organizer Jessica Willman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more at district10comopark.org/IceCreamSocial.
Renters, homeowners and other community members are always welcome to participate in District 10’s board and committee meetings. You can join them by video conference or by phone.
To obtain links or other access information, send a request by email to: email@example.com. Or call 651-644-3889.
• Land Use Committee: Wednesday, July 6
• Neighborhood Relations Committee: Tuesday, July 5
• Environment Committee: Tuesday, July 12
For more upcoming events, go to events at district10comopark.org/Events
All meetings begin at 7 p.m. Whenever possible, agendas and other relevant documents are posted in advance on District 10’s website: district10comopark.org.
Submitted by Shevek McKee, District 10 Como Community Council executive director.