Como Park Lutheran Church to celebrate 90 years on Sept. 18
Como Park Lutheran Church (CPLC), 1376 W. Hoyt Ave., will celebrate nine decades as a congregation on Sunday, Sept. 18, with a special worship service followed by lunch and outdoor festivities.
Founded in 1926, just three years prior to the start of the Great Depression, the church survived the crash of 1929 and went on to install seven pastors, 11 associate pastors and nine pastoral interns. Pastor Martin Ericson has served the congregation for the past 16 years.
“The longevity of this congregation is rooted in worship, prayer and fellowship that extends beyond our walls into our local and global community,” says Ericson. “But our strongest asset is our people who give of their time, talent and generosity to serve our ministry and each other.”
Young and old play a role in the life of the church. At age 86, Shirley Knutson of St. Paul is the oldest member of the congregation. And Luka Smaka, born and baptized this summer, is the youngest.
Over the past 90 years, Como Park Lutheran has confirmed 966 confirmands; married 707 couples; baptized 1,226 people; served and supported more than two dozen beneficiaries—from elementary schools to food shelves, bible camps and the Block Nurse Program; partnered with and supported congregations and community-development projects in Tanzania, Guatemala and Madagascar; and opened its doors to provide meeting space for community organizations.
Neighbors and friends are invited to celebrate the church’s 90th anniversary on Sept. 18, starting with a 9:30 a.m. worship in the sanctuary followed by lunch and outdoor festivities that will include music, complimentary face-painting, games and a photo booth. Food trucks will have food available for purchase. Those who attend the Sept. 18 worship service will receive a $5 voucher in their bulletin, redeemable at any food truck.
For more information, contact the Como Park Lutheran Church office at 651-646-7127.