Get your gardening off to a great start
The Como Community Seed Library will hold its 2018 May Mosaic on Saturday, May 5, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Como Streetcar Station, 1224 N. Lexington Parkway. The free event is a great opportunity to swap seeds, plants and perennials; swap stories; get advice from Master Gardeners; learn the real benefits of bees, wasps and birds in your yard; and more. For details, see comoseedsavers.geopoi.us/.
Rain barrel is a bargain — advice is even better
District 10’s Environment Committee and the Capitol Region Watershed District will hold a Rain Barrel Workshop Saturday, May 19, from 1 to 3 p.m. at Twin Cities German Immersion School, 1031 Como Ave. Participants can get a rain barrel for $29 (plus tax) and learn how to set it up so it works the way it’s supposed to. (If you already have rain barrels at your home, you can show up and learn to use them correctly — for free.) Space is limited, so register now at www.bit.ly/d10-rainbarrels.
Fairgrounds Drop-Off is June 9
The annual Citywide Drop-Off at the State Fairgrounds is much earlier than usual in 2018: It’s Saturday, June 9, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. The Drop-Off, organized by the city of St. Paul and District 10, is a great chance to get rid of the junk you can’t throw in the trash (for a reasonable price). If you volunteer to help staff the event, you can get rid of a load of your junk for free. Sign up to volunteer at www.district10comopark.org/volunteer_form.html.
Things to look forward to
- Sunday, May 6:Community Yoga, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m., Como Streetcar Station. Bring a yoga mat or blanket, wear comfortable clothes, and stretch your horizons with neighbors. The session is suitable for all levels of skill and experience. Sign up now (because space literally is limited) at www.district10comopark.org/communityyoga.html. The $5 registration fee benefits the Como Community Council.
- Sunday, June 3:District 10 Sunday Series: Como Park Tree Trek, 1 to 2:30 p.m. Meet outside the Lakeside Pavilion. Arborist Tim Morgan will lead a walk to help us identify and understand local tree species, their health, and the diseases and pests that affect them.
- Sunday, June 3:Block Party in the Park, 4 to 7 p.m., Orchard Park. Neighbors hanging out with neighbors. You don’t have to live in South Como to join the fun.
- Saturday, June 16:Como Neighborhood Garage Sale. By popular demand, it’s later than usual this year, in hopes of better weather. See District 10’s website for details, www.district10comopark.org.
Upcoming District 10 meetings
- Environment Committee:Wednesday, April 25
- Neighborhood Relations and Safety Committee:Tuesday, May 1
- Land Use Committee:Wednesday, May 2
- Como Community Council:Tuesday, May 15
All meetings begin at 7 p.m. at the Como Streetcar Station. Community members are always welcome to attend and participate. Whenever possible, agendas are posted in advance in the “Board News” section of District 10’s website.