The Saint Anthony Park Community Foundation announced it 2015 annual grant award winners. Through all of its grants, using both dedicated and general funds, the foundation awarded more than $52,000 this year.
The foundation is able to support these organizations and initiatives because of St. Anthony Park’s generosity and commitment to community, said Jon Schumacher, foundation executive director.
The foundation’s grants committee chair, Bruce Weber, noted that the foundation is particularly grateful for the additional dedicated donations that are increasing each year to provide support for education.
Both alumni groups and individuals have earmarked gifts to support unique programming that keeps our schools vibrant.
Schumacher broke down the totals by fund: the Boss Undesignated Fund contributed $32,853; the Environmental Education Fund contributed $2,122; the Gerald R. McKay Family Music Fund contributed $2,347; and the Provisional Fund contributed $8,100.
Here is a list of the grantees and their awards:
• Avalon School: $1,000 for arts programming
• Creative Enterprise Zone: $950 to upgrade website
• Keystone: $1,500 to support its local Meals on Wheels services
• Mid-Continental Oceanographic Institute: $3,000 to support tutoring at Como Park Senior High School
• Murray Middle School: $750 for band scholarships; $2,000 for Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center scholarships; $5,100 for the E2 Program; $3,000 for a partnership with the University of Minnesota Raptor Canter (a gift from the Class of 1965); $600 to purchase books by a visiting author
• Park Bugle: $2,000 for expanded business and education coverage
• St. Anthony Park Area Seniors: $5,000 for general operating
• St. Anthony Park Community Council: $1,000 for online communications
• St. Anthony Park Elementary School: $5,000 for arts programming; $1,000 for library books; $2,122 for environmental learning programming
• SPPS Foundation: $5,000 for New Lens Mentoring Program at Murray
• Music in the Park Series: $3,000 for community outreach through Family Concert Series, school and senior home visits
• Transition Town: $5,000 (second installment of grant challenge award)
• Community programming support: $5,000 • Spirit of the Park Award: $500 to Fourth in the Park Committee