The St. Paul Sidewalk Poetry Contest is taking submissions through Friday, Oct. 16.
Winning poems will be stamped in city sidewalks and their writers will receive $100 each. Entry fee is $3.
The contest guidelines are listed below:
- * You must be a St. Paul resident to enter. All residents—young or old, professional writers or amateur—are eligible. Past winners are not eligible. Past honorable mention recipients are eligible to enter again.
- * Submit up to two poems. Text and subject matter must be appropriate for the general public. Poems must be in English.
- * Poems cannot exceed 10 lines, 44 characters per line, including spaces, and an overall total of 250 characters, including spaces.
- * Poems must be original work by the entrant and can be previously published or unpublished.
- * All entries are reviewed by a panel in a blind selection process.
- * Up to five selected poets will receive a $100 prize and installation of their poems in city sidewalks. Poets’ names will be credited on the project website, not in the sidewalk. Some selected poems may receive editing suggestions from the panel.
- * Deadline for submissions is Friday, Oct. 16, at midnight.
- * Winners will be announced on Nov. 17 at Readings by Writers at the University Club on Summit Avenue and on Nov. 18 at www.stpaul.gov/poetry.
- * Entries are accepted online only at www.stpaul.gov/poetry. A $3 entry fee is required at the end of this submission process.
- * If submitting on behalf of a school group, please review the online submission form well in advance for additional instructions. Entry fees are waived for school groups.